Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Confession of a Tour de France addict...

I am not watching the 100th Edition of the Tour de France.  I have watched most of le Tour since 2003 and followed it closely since 2000.  This year - nada.  Nothing. Zero minutes of Phil and Paul talking about Chateau blah blah blah and the Romans building this road or that aquaduct.  I am boycotting the race for the maillot jaune because I have watched this race already.  I watched a texan known as The Boss attack in the mountains day after day - and win.  I watched a rider that has never had a chance in hell of winning the tour as a lieutenant tear out and win it all - and then need a "fairness fund." I watched a certain spaniard win every grand tour he entered until he had one stripped away.  Last year I saw Froome tear away from Wiggo and thought that guy could have won the race.  And that race was the race I wanted to watch!

Only now that rider is back without Wiggo on his team and I cannot bear to watch anymore.  It looks so Armstrongesque that there might as well be Jan Ulrich chasing him instead of the 200 or so remaining riders.  At least during Big Tex's rein everyone was doped out of their mind so there was still a race to watch.  Now, only two riders are capable of attacking with super human powers, and it just is unbearable to watch because they are on the same team.  Not obvious at all...

It's sad when the flat stages contain the only real racing in a twenty-one-day bike race.  Hopefully Peter Sagan will pop some more wheelies...

No comments:

Post a Comment